10 Tips For Leaders
I wrote a post a while ago titled ‘Do superheroes cry‘ which contained deep within it some mindfulness tips for leaders.
Leadership is something which carries along with it management roles but sometimes leaders can forget about the effect their actions and decisions can have upon others.
Head teacher John Kendall hit the nail on the head with this yesterday and what great leaders do:
It resonates with this well known quote from Benjamin Franklin:
With that in mind then, here are my top ten tips for mindfulness for school leaders. Sure, there could be other things involved such as having a strong moral compass and other such guidelines for school leaders as outlined in my ten things everyone should know about great school leaders; but these are my thoughts on mindfulness.
- Do what you say you’re going to do
- Walk the walk, don’t just talk the talk
- Be respectful at all times
- Reply to messages
- Don’t take credit, rise above it
- Be mindful of your thoughts
- Listen – without making judgments
- Plan deadlines and timings carefully
- Only hold meetings that are necessary
- Take time for you
I do love lists, absolutely – but I find things stick better with a visualisation, so here’s one I made to go with the list. It is quite high quality, so if you wanted to print it, click on it, save and then print.